You will write a personal reflection papers the supplemental books, The Ghost Map. The reflection paper must be properly referenced and needs to answer specific questions. Each reflection paper should include a minimum of 4 pages of writing.
In your paper, please address the following items:
- Reflect upon the role of John Snow:
- The profession of a physician was clearly a very different one in 1854 than it is now, particularly as John Snow practiced it. What do you see as the major differences?
- What professions and fields in today’s world might be more similar to what John Snow did?
- Why do you think John Snow and others who could presumably afford to live elsewhere chose to live in a city that apparently seemed to always be on the brink of collapse?
- Reflect upon the role of Henry Whitehead:
- Why do you think Whitehead was effective as a researcher?
- Do you think his contribution to solving the mystery of cholera was equal to Snow’s or was he more like Snow’s “apprentice”?
- How did Whitehead’s social status add weight to his influence over events?
- The Ghost Map:
- Briefly discuss how Snow used hypotheses, formulation of methods, and review (the scientific method) to develop his map.
- What are several popular misconceptions about Snow’s actual map that are debunked by the book’s author?
- Despite debunking the myths, the author still names his book after the map. Why?
- Sustainability: In the latter part of the book, Johnson (the author) makes a case for urbanization as the most significant trend of the modern era. Johnson views this as a positive trend.
- Do you agree with his positive assessment?
- Does reading a story like that of The Ghost Mapmake you feel more or less positive about cities and urbanization?
- What do you see as the role of developedsocieties in improving public health systems in the developing world?