Answer two of the following questions (700-800 words each), demonstrating a working understanding of the readings mentioned as well as course lectures in the course of your essay. This is not a reading summary, please use your own words and answer the questions thoughtfully.
Question 1) With reference to Wade (1997), explain how African-descendant populations and Indians were integrated into colonial Latin American society differently, and how mestizaje/mesticagem as a nation-building project perpetuates the colonial order in its celebration of racial mixture.
Theme: Race, Class and Mestizaje
Required Reading: Wade, Peter. (1997) “Race and Ethnicity in Latin America” (Excerpt: Chapter 2, 25- 39) (MUST read and use this reading to answer the question!)
Traven, Bruno. (1970 [1930s]). “La Carreta” (Excerpt: 1-30)
Students will be given three questions on themes covered so far and/or to guide reading of Laughter out of Place (Goldstein 2003), two of which they must answer.
(700-800 wds. each)
• Word process all written work; handwritten papers will not be accepted.
• Staple your pages together (this is essential).
• Double-space, using 1 inch margins.
• Number your pages.
• At the top of the first page include your name, student number, date, and essay title.
• Proofread and spell-check on paper before turning in papers.