Answer questions 1 through 5 with at least 3 complete sentences for each question. Be specific with your answers.
- Which type of heat transfer is thought to occur in the mantle that helps fuel plate tectonic movement?
- What happens to oceanic lithosphere over time, as it ages?
- Why are continents so much older than the ocean basins?
- Where in the world’s oceans are the oldest rocks? How old are they?
- Where does all new ocean crust form? Why?
- Enter the terms in the left column into the appropiate boxs.
Terms Oceanic Lithosphere Continental Lithosphere
- New rocks forming
- Old rocks melting
- Contains oldest rocks
- Contains youngest rocks
- Less than 250 million years
- Older than 250 million years
- High Density
- Low Density
- Label each diagram (A, B, and C) as either convergent plate boundary, divergent plate boundary, or transform plate boundary.
- You find a 10,000,000 year old rock 2,500 km away from the nearest seafloor spreading center, how fast has the plate been moving since its formation? Give answer in cm/yr. (Hint: 1 km = 100,000 cm)
- You find a rock 7,500 km away from the nearest seafloor spreading center. The plate is spreading at 5 cm/year, how old is the rock? Give answer in years. (Hint: 100,000 cm = 1 km)
- You find a 2,400,000 year old rock formation on a plate that is spreading at 12 cm/year, how far is the rock formation from the spreading center? Give answer in kilometers. (Hint: 100,000 cm = 1 km)