Each student will select one Muslim-majority or Muslim-minority society that we have not studied in class in depth (this means, any country other than Iran, Turkey, Algeria, Egypt, and France). You will research Muslim women and their veiling practices in that context.
These are the types of questions you are asked to research and write about in your final research project:
- Â Â Â What is the history of Muslim immigration in that country (Muslim-minority) or how large is the Muslim community in it (for Muslim-majority)?
- Â Â Â What is the history of veiling there?
- Â Â Â What laws or traditions of veiling exist?
- Â Â Â What kind of discrimination do veiled (or unveiled) Muslim women experience there?
- Â Â Â What styles of veiling do we find?
- Â Â Â What artwork, music, poetry, documentary films (youtube videos are fine) treating of veiling or Muslim women can you find about this country?