Title: Urbanization and China
In your one page paper (excluding the title and reference page), address each of the following below. The response do not have to be very extensive, however they should be detailed and make sense to the reader. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to use the classroom textbook as one of the two required references
• What are the three main reasons why urbanization was limited between 1949 and 1980 in China?
• What specific tasks did the Chinese government perform regarding urban planning during this period?
• Has the urbanization movement in China been balanced regionally? Why or why not?
• What are some challenges that the Chinese government face regarding sustainable development?
• What options are available to the Chinese government as it relates to urban planning techniques?
1. Read the following chapters in your text, Contemporary Urban Planning:
o Chapter 13:Economic Development Planning
o Chapter 14:Growth Management, Smart Growth, and Sustainable Development
2. Read the following articles to assist you to answer this week’s discussions:
o Doctoroff, D. L. (2006). No small plans. Economic Development Journal, 5(2), 17-23.
o Yu, L. (2007). A sustainable development form for metropolises in China: A case study of Beijing. International Development Planning Review, 29(4), 451-473.