In a paper, analyze the historical events during the 20th and 21st centuries in American society which have affected the evolution of labor unions for industrial and craft workers. Address the following in your investigation:
- What were the specific issues that drove workers to unionize?
- What were the factors which contributed to union membership peaking in 1954? Determine the most important historical issues in analyzing the effect of unionization in American society and the workplace.
- Explain why these particular issues are a challenge for organizations.
- How have major labor-management issues changed in the last ten years?
- Briefly describe how the federal government has either helped or hindered unionization in America.
- In your opinion, where does the power of present-day unions lie?
- What actions can an employer utilize to limit the potential of a union organizing in their facility? Provide examples and rationale.
- What factors might affect their effectiveness in the future?
Support your paper with a minimum of three resources, which may include your required text. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including older articles, may be included.
Length: 5-7 pages, not including title and reference pages