For this assignment, you will compare the U.S. educational system with that of another country. Do the following
- Go to Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development: Education GPS – United States(OECD, n.d.)
- Read through the claims identified for the country’s attributes.
- Select “Change selection of country or topic.” Under the tab “Analyze by country,” select one country that scored higher than the U.S. in 2003 as shown in the PISA report in International Outcomes of Learning in Mathematics Literacy and Problem Solving (Lemke et al., 2004).
- Using evidence from the report and your own research, develop a 2- to 3-page comparison paper that addresses the following:
- How much higher were the scores of the country you chose over the scores of the U.S.? Why do you think this is so?
- Of the two countries, which one:
- Provides the greatest opportunity to educate all citizens?
- Has the highest achievement for post-secondary students?
- Invests the most resources for citizens who are in the education institution?
- Which country’s educational system would you want to teach in? Why? Provide empirical evidence to justify your claims.
Do you think the PISA report (Lemke et al., 2004) should be considered a reliable source of evidence for schools and policy makers to use when making decisions? Provide evidence to logically support your claim.
Support your statements with evidence from the Required Studies and your research. Cite and reference your sources in APA style.
Lemke, M., Sen, A., Pahlke, E., Partelow, L., Miller, D., Williams, T., … & Jocelyn, L. (2004). International outcomes of learning in mathematics, literacy and problem solving: PISA 2003 results from the U.S. perspective. Retrieved from http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2005/2005003.pdf
OECD. (n.d.). Education GPS. Retrieved from http://gpseducation.oecd.org/Home