ou work as a network administrator for a college located in your local city. Next door to the college is a new gated community. The residents have being moving in over the last few months. The college is running a converged network. The services that are present on the infrastructure include the phone system that all staff and faculty use to make calls (voice network). The data for students and faculty are also present on the infrastructure. The infrastructure includes a student-accessible wireless environment.
You have gotten numerous complaints about call quality. Complaints have included the following:
- It has being intermittent and very hard to track down the issue.
- The trouble report states that the call quality is poor and that calls are breaking up.
- It was also stated that the overall network performance is very bad, and it started a few months ago but it is progressively getting worse.
- It takes a long time to access any files or the Internet.
About 2 months ago, you implemented a network monitoring solution. You decided to check the logs as a result of a call you received from your CIO. The president of the college was on an important phone call and was not able to communicate as a result of the call quality. A review of your performance monitor logs revealed an enormous amount of traffic on the network. This excess network traffic was generated from the wireless LAN. Network traffic was destined for P2P (peer-to-peer) Web sites for movie and music downloads. The logs further reveal very high traffic volume when the students, staff, and faculty were off campus. You just remembered that the university did not have a wireless access control solution in place. It appears that unauthorized usage of the wireless network is generating this traffic that is greatly affecting network performance. You reported this finding to the CIO, and she needs a resolution.
- Research and identify an enterprise wireless access control solution.
- Based on your research, write a report of 2–3 pages for your boss on your solution.
- Discuss authentication methods and encryption