Title: Economic Development Programs
In your one page paper (excluding the title and reference page), address each of the following below. The response do not have to be very extensive, however they should be detailed and make sense to the reader. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to use the classroom textbook as one of the two required references.
• List and discuss several motivations available for local government entities to promote economic development programs.
• What techniques are available to urban planners that wish to encourage economic development within their community?
• What is sustainable development as it relates to urban planning?
1. Read the following chapters in your text, Contemporary Urban Planning:
o Chapter 13:Economic Development Planning
o Chapter 14:Growth Management, Smart Growth, and Sustainable Development
2. Read the following articles to assist you to answer this week’s discussions:
o Doctoroff, D. L. (2006). No small plans. Economic Development Journal, 5(2), 17-23.
o Yu, L. (2007). A sustainable development form for metropolises in China: A case study of Beijing. International Development Planning Review, 29(4), 451-473.