Quantitative Data Analysis
After completing this Assignment, you should be able to:
Critique methods for quantitative data analysis.
Review this article.
Using this worksheet, complete a critique of the quantitative data analyses contained in the article by answering all questions.
There is no grading rubric for this Assignment. Each question is worth 4 points. Your instructor will evaluate each component of each question for clarity and validity.
Guidelines for Critiquing Data Quality in Quantitative Studies
1. Is there congruence between the research variables as conceptualized (i.e., as discussed in the introduction of the report) and as operationalized (i.e., as described in the method section)?
2. If operational definitions (or scoring procedures) are specified, do they clearly indicate the rules of measurement? How was data collected?
3. Does the report offer evidence of the reliability of measures? Does the evidence come from the research sample itself, or is it based on other studies?
4. If reliability is reported, which estimation method was used? Was this method appropriate? Is the reliability sufficiently high?
5. Does the report offer evidence of the validity of the measures and the data?
6. If validity information is reported, which validity approach was used? Was this method appropriate? Does the validity of the instrument appear to be adequate?
7. If there is no reliability or validity information, what conclusion can you reach about the quality of the data in the study?
8. If a diagnostic or screening tool was used, is information provided about its sensitivity and specificity, and were these qualities adequate?
9. Were the research hypotheses supported? If not, might data quality play a role in the failure to confirm the hypotheses?
10. Do you need further instruction regarding quantitative data analysis to complete your research proposal? If so, what could the instructor provide to increase your understanding?
Please use the article provided