For this paper, you will be discussing the reasons that the proposition 37 initiative failed. This will build off of the points that you made in the previous paper. Your paper should address the following: (Note: Please do not just answer the questions in chronological order, your paper should address the following but can be done in a manner that makes sense and is easy to read).
1. Give a brief overview of the proposition 37 initiative, the opposition and the supporters. This is basically a very brief summary of your previous paper to lead into this paper. This is not to be a copy/paste from your previous paper to this one.
2. Who was the main driving force behind the proposal? i.e. Big interest group, wealthy individual, non-profit group, etc
3. What were arguments that supporters of the proposal felt that the policy was needed in California? What were arguments that opponents made that the proposal was not needed?
4. Discuss the campaign to pass and to stop the proposal. This could be how the campaign marketed it (tv spots? celebrity endorsements? etc.), how much money was spent, and who the campaign was targeting. These aforementioned aspects may not be easy to find, however, what I would like to see is how the proposition was “packaged.” For example, Did supporters see it as an economic issue and presented it that way to the voters? Did opponents see it as morality issue and presented it that way to the voters?
5. Give an analysis of why you believe that the proposition 37 initiative did not pass – was it the wrong time? Was it packaged “incorrectly?” Not enough money spent? etc. This will be the bulk of your paper and builds on the first four questions that set up the analysis