1. The contingency plan associated with infectious waste management should include ____.
Rupture of plastic bags
Equipment purchase price
TSD permit numbers
1. Henri Bacquerel discovered that minerals containing uranium gave off energy that, _______.
were capable of causing skin burns similar to that from overexposure to the sun
capable of causing cancer-form skin spots
penetrating black paper
capable of producing a crude form of electrical power when exposed to light
1. Which of the following is a false statement?
A qualified person or committee can handle the determination of whether or not dialysis unit wastes are classified as infectious.
Contaminated sharps are determined to be infectious by a qualified person or committee.
The definition of infectious wastes includes the portal of entry as a necessary factor for induction of disease.
Segregation of infectious wastes assures that the added costs of special handling will not be applied to noninfectious waste.
1. The half-life of Uranium-234 is _________.
704 million years
1. The fusion process involves all of the following except _____.
Simultaneous release of energy
Combination of small atomic nuclei to form more massive nuclei
Instability of one or bother nuclei
Splitting of two smaller nuclei
1. Pathological wastes include all of the following except _____.
Serum and waste blood
Tissues and body parts
Body fluids removed during surgery, autopsy and biopsy
1. What is the significance of “half-life”?
It is the measurement of radioactive isotopes in curies that will still exist within half a lifetime of the listed isotope
It is the amount of time required for half of the atoms in a sample to decay
It is a generalized termed used to measure the quantity of available nuclear material in National stockpiles
It is a physical measurement of laboratory-grade nuclear material used in “heavy water” production
1. What subtitle and section codifies medical waste regulations?
Subtitle L, 40 CFR 259
Subtitle O, 29 CFR 1200
Subtitle J, 40 CFR 259
Subtitle J, 40 CFR 1200
1. All of the following have regulations, authorities or professional practices regarding infectious wastes except ___________.
1. Regulated Medical waste includes all of the following except _____.
cultures and stocks of infectious agents
human blood and blood products
contaminated animal blood and blood products used in laboratory testing
Question 11 – 200 words
1. Define “ALARA” and discuss its three major concepts.
Question 12 – 200 Words
1. Identify and discuss three categories of infectious wastes and give specific examples of each. What are the proper handling procedures for these wastes?
1. Which of the following is false regarding emergency response teams?
On-scene incident commanders must have extensive training beyond the first responder awareness level.
Hazardous materials specialists must be able to develop a site safety and control plan.
First responders, operations level must know basic control, containment, and confinement operations.
First responders, awareness level must know how to select and use specialized chemical protective equipment.
1. Corrective Action Requirements are found in which section?
29 CFR 1910.120, RCRA
40 CFR 280, Subpart L and O
40 CFR 280, Subpart E and F
29 CFR 1910 Subpart L and O
1. The “buddy system” is associated with what aspect of the HAZWOPER standard?
Handling drums and containers
1. New UST systems require all but which one of the following?
All owners/operators must ensure that certification, testing or inspection is used to demonstrate compliance by providing a certificate of compliance on the UST notification.
The piping that routinely contains regulated substances and is in contact with the ground must be properly designed, constructed and protected from corrosion.
Owners/operators must install specified equipment to prevent spilling and overfilling associated with product transfer to the UST.
All owner/operators must secure permits for installations 90 days prior to the 1st fill of the tanks.
1. Which monitoring procedures are essential to maintenance of safe working conditions, where heat injury is a potential hazard?
1. HAZWOPER trainers must meet the qualifications of _________ requiring specific training in the subjects taught or appropriate academic credentials.
29 CFR 38 (a)
29 CFR 1910.1200 (p)
29 CFR 1910.120 (e)(5)
29 CFR 38 (a) through (g)
1. Minimum requirements for an emergency response (action) plan for employers who will evacuate employees from the workplace and do not permit any of their employees to assist in handling the emergency are codified in what section?
29 CFR 1910.1200 (p)
29 CFR 38 (a)
29 CFR 1910.120 (e)
29 CFR 1910.95
1. Chemicals exert a toxic effect on humans by gaining access to tissues and cells. Which of the following is not an example of a major route of exposure of these toxic chemicals?
1. What was created by Congress in 1986 by Subtitle I and reauthorized for 5 more years in 1990?
Post closure rules
Temporary closure rules
LUST Trust Fund (Leaking Underground Storage Tanks)
Modifications to financial responsibility requirements
1. What federal regulation deals with LUST’s?
Subtitle O, RCRA
Subtitle I, RCRA
Subtitle L, HSWA
Question 11 -200 words
1. What is HAZWOPER, and what are its major component sections? In addition, summarize the key components that would come into play when you must evaluate an abandoned industrial paint manufacturing facility with a good size field of 250-300 unknown, unmarked drums in the open field next to the manufacturing building. What factors contribute to the complexity of remediation of properties contaminated with fuels containing MTBE?
Question 12 – 200 words
1. You have been notified by the attorney for your late Dear Uncle Harry that he left his old service station property to you. It has been padlocked since 1976. You decide to look the place over and find that there are at least two underground storage tanks that apparently have some petroleum product in them. The nearby, long-unused well contains water that has a strong odor of petroleum. What must be one of the first things that you do? Give your thoughts on how you would proceed with handling this newfound property….treasure…..dilemma???