Today’s juveniles encounter a variety of issues and challenges that are very different, and in some cases more dangerous, than juveniles of previous generations. Societal changes related to technology, the family unit, drug use and abuse, and gangs among other things all present unique issues and challenges and, in some cases, lead to delinquent behaviors. For instance, over the past several decades, the number of single-parent and dual-earner households has increased, resulting in less parental supervision. In addition, the advent of the Internet and mobile communication technology now enables juveniles to interact with and befriend virtual strangers, without parental knowledge. These and many other societal changes not only influence the juvenile population in general, but also, in some cases, contribute to juvenile delinquency. Criminal justice professionals must be acutely aware of societal changes and anticipate how they might influence juveniles today and their behavior.
To prepare for this Discussion:
• Review the Interactive Module, “The Future of Juvenile Justice.” Consider how various societal changes affect juveniles today and contribute to juvenile delinquency.
• Review the assigned pages in Chapter 7 of the course text, Juvenile Delinquency. Focus on societal changes that might contribute to juvenile delinquency among females.
• Review Chapter 10 of the course text, Juvenile Delinquency. Think about how peer groups and gang involvement among juveniles might contribute to juvenile delinquency.
• Select two societal changes that influence today’s juveniles and consider how.
• Think about how and why the societal changes you selected might contribute to juvenile delinquency.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 3 a brief description of two societal changes that influence today’s juveniles and explain how. Then explain how and why the societal changes you described might contribute to juvenile delinquency. Be specific and use examples to illustrate your explanation.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Respond by Day 5 to at least one of your colleagues’ postings. Respond in one or more of the following ways:
Please read and view (where applicable) the following Learning Resources before you complete this week’s assignments.
Course Text: Juvenile Delinquency
Chapter 7, “Gender and Delinquency”
“Gender Ratio in Offending”
“Social Content of Delinquency: Gender Roles and Delinquency”
“Explanations of Female Delinquency”
“Gender Bias and the Processing of Female Delinquents”
Chapter 10, “Gangs and Delinquency”
Chapter 11, “Drugs and Delinquency” (Review from Week 5)
Chapter 12, ” Juvenile Justice Process”
“The Juvenile Justice System Today” (Review from Week 4)
“What works for Whom and in What Context”
“Graduated Sanctions in Juvenile Justice”
“Trends for the Future”
Chapter 14, “Juvenile Court”
Interactive Module: “The Future of Juvenile Justice,” Copyright (2008) by Pearson Learning Solutions. Used with the permission of Pearson Education. Boston, MA.