The week two writing assignment asks you to choose three topics from the list of approved topics and explain why you chose the topics, along with your specific audience, and working thesis statement.
Let’s begin discussing that here in this discussion.
Please share one of your topic choices (from the approved list) and explain why you chose that topic. How do you connect to the topic? Why did you choose it? Please use Chapter 8 in our Roen book to help with understanding your audience.
Then, share your intended audience and your working thesis statement.
Remember, the thesis statement should use third person, include your stance on the topic, and avoid announcing anything. Chapter 13, in our Roen book, provides a fantastic overview of writing at thesis statement.
This should help you get started with the Week Two writing assignment as well :).
Assignment 1: Research Topics with Explanation
Due Week 2 and worth 100 points
Read through the list of research topics (located in the Appendix), or by clicking the link here, on which to write a research paper. Select three (3) topics that interest you most and identify two (2) credible sources for each topic. Note: This is one (1) of several parts that will build toward a final draft of your persuasive writing research paper.
Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
- Explain the reason for selecting topic one (1), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Explain the reason for selecting topic two (2), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Explain the reason for selecting topic three (3), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Identify and document six (6) credible sources (two (2) for each topic) that you would expect to use. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the elements and correct use of a thesis statement.
- Associate the features of audience, purpose, and text with various genres.
- Recognize correct APA documentation and reasons to document and avoid plagiarism.
- Write clearly and concisely about selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
- Use technology and information resources to research selected issues for this course.
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.