Before my first child was born, I studied child development. I learned the importance of responsive caregiving. I learned that I would soon be able to read my baby’s cries. I would know what was wrong and what I could do by the sound of the cry. After my baby was born, I responded quickly when he cried. To my surprise, I had difficulty calming him. I realized I did not always know what was wrong by the sound of his cry. I became very frustrated and decided that if my baby was dry, fed, and not tired. I would just let him cry it out. I didn’t know what else to do.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Explain how Behaviorism, Psychoanalytic Theory, and Attachment Theory suggest handling this situation and predict what would be each likely outcome.
- Explain what the research says regarding how parents should react to the cries of a child.
- Assess the behavior of the mother in supporting secure attachment.
- Identify the characteristics that a baby could have that may disrupt the attachment process.
- Suggest a solution that is supported by research and theory.
- Use at least four (4) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Assess the biological, cognitive, cultural, environmental, and social factors that influence development throughout the lifespan.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in lifespan development.
- Write clearly and concisely about lifespan development using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills. Click here to access the rubric for this assignment.