The following essay is based on the readings refered to below (All readings can be found online):
Note: This essay does not require any introductory nor any conclusion paragraphs. Essay paragraphs should just go right to answering the question.
Question 1: [600 words]
Discuss the contemporary problems raised in each of the three essays:
1) Lars Eighner- “On Dumpster Diving”
2) Joseph Epstein- “The Perpetual Adolescent”
3) Michael Lewis- “The Mansion: A Subprime Parable”
Question 2: [600 words]
Answer the following three questions concerning Franz Kafka’s “Metamorphosis:”
1) Briefly describe each family member’s relationship (mother, father, and sister) to Gregor Samsa
2) Why do you think Gregor undergoes a metamorphosis?
3) How can you compare the ideas of this story with contemporary situations?
Quesion 3: [200 words]
Discuss the idea of the “journey” in Sherman Alexie’s “The Joy of Reading and Writing: Superman and me” and Scott Momaday “The Way to Rainy Mountain.”
Question 4: [300 words]
In “Consider the Lobster,” David Wallace asks, “is it alright to boil a sentient creature alive for our pleasure?” Give several concerns he has for the suffering of lobsters in their culinary preparation.
-12 pt. font
-no Works Cited/ References needed in essay