T&P Fashion Shops
T&P Fashion Shops is a new chain that operates 10 stores in major malls throughout the United States. Each store manager is responsible for preparing a flexible budget for the store. T&P headquarters accumulates and analyzes the information for each store and in the aggregate.
Below follows some cost estimates for the Houston store.
Flexible Budget Information
Expense Fixed Variable
Cost of sales $210,000 40% $740,000
Management 27,000 12% 186,000
Shop assistants 162,000 8% 268,000
Rent 13,200 5% 54,450
Utilities 34,800 34,800
• The sales forecast for the year is $1,400,000.
• Variable expenses are based on revenues. Do note that percentage clause for rent only kicks in above $500,000 in sales.
• Other expenses are all specific to this store. Headquarters pay for marketing and corporate overhead expenses.
• T&P wants to see a flexible budget based on the sales forecast, including estimates for sales being 10% below budget and 10% above budget.
Actual Results from Operations
Cost of sales 790,000
Shop assistants 230,000
Operating profit $7,800
Computations (use Excel) 1-page
• Prepare a flexible budget in good format.
• Compute the flexible variances and indicate whether favorable or unfavorable.
• Headquarters are contemplating charging each store a 5% marketing expense based on sales. How will that affect the operating profit of the store and the money available for managerial bonuses based on actual results for the past year? Summarize the information in the table.
1-page Memo (use Word)
Write a 4- or 5-paragraph memo to the division manager explaining the flexible budget variances; how to interpret the information; and what action, if any to take. Comment on the 5% marketing proposal too. Start with an introduction and end with a recommendation. Each of the four or five paragraphs should have a heading.
1-page Short Essay (use Word) Start with an introduction and end with a summary or conclusion. Use headings.
• Discuss how to interpret static and flexible budget variances. How is the information useful in general?
• What are the benefits of variance analysis? How can such analysis be detrimental rather than beneficial to the organization?
Each submission should include two files: (1) An Excel file; and (2) A Word document. The Word document shows the memo first and short essay last. Assume a knowledgeable business audience and use required format and length. Individuals in business are busy and want information presented in an organized and concise manner.
Required Background Materials
Budgets and variance analysis are related topics. The first interactive video introduces terminology and concepts.
Flexible Budgets and Standard Costs. (2014). Pearson Learning Solutions, New York, NY. Retrieved from https://www.pearsoncustom.com/mct-comprehensive/asset.php?isbn=1269879944&id=11649
Next is an interview with a CFO.
CFO Insights: Gary Cokins on Embracing Change. (2013, Oct. 31). [Videos]. Part I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1jRXULpC0&index=6&list=PL_PvlGddtOgGkSwnLdl1p5CWr2wcVEZ95 Part II (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuqreqcOgk&list=PL_PvlGddtOgGkSwnLdl1p5CWr2wcVEZ95&index=7)
The next resources cover the material in more detail.
Martin, J. R. (n.d.) Management Accounting: Concepts, Techniques, and Controversial Issues – Chapter 13: Profit Analysis: An Overall Performance Evaluation. Retrieved from https://maaw.info/Chapter13.htm
Walther, l. (2014). Chapter Twenty-One. Budgeting: Planning for Success. Retrieved from https://www.principlesofaccounting.com/
Walther, l. (2014). Chapter Twenty-Two. Tools for Enterprise Performance Evaluation. Retrieved from https://www.principlesofaccounting.com/