There are many risk indicators impacting not only a student’s ability to succeed in a school environment, but also the ability for a school and/or district to make progress and meet the achievement expectations at state or federal levels. To prepare for this discussion, beyond reviewing the Week Four Instructor Guidance, you will investigate general at-risk groups and behaviors, as well as information pertaining to students with disabilities.
Begin by investigating the National Center for School Engagement website to gain insight as to various risk indicators commonly observed in at-risk youth in school environments. This resource also provides strategies for re-engagement that support the building of student resilience includingparental involvement, truancy, youth development philosophies & approaches, and reengagement supports or strategies. Next, access your state’s Department of Education website, specifically for their special education link (which may also be titled something similar to Exceptional Student Services). Read the mission statements; notice that your state’s website may have a far-reaching statement as well as specific missions for funding, programming, and resources. Investigate some of the programs and resources available from your state and review the methods the state uses to provide assistance to schools.
Now, investigate a school district website in your local community or state. Look for information similar to what you observed in the National Center for School Engagement that describes supports for a variety of at-risk groups. In most cases, district-based websites include direct links to the individual schools located in the district. Therefore, you may find a special program or intervention model offered at a specific school that would help inform your response to this discussion. Additionally, look for information pertaining to special education. You may find this information under a link titled “Departments” or something similar. Read the mission of the school district. Look specifically for programs and approaches offered for students with disabilities.
Initial Post: Create an initial post that addresses the following:
- Cite the website for the school district you evaluated.
- Describe at least one school- or district-level program, model, or approach showcased regarding parental involvement, truancy, reengagement supports or strategies, or youth development.
- Discuss how the school district’s special education mission statement either supports or differs from what was observed from the state’s special education mission.
- Share an example of a program or policy from the district or a particular school that supports what was stated in the state’s website and explain how the program or policy aligns with that of the state’s positions or policies.
- Describe your impressions of the types and levels of supports offered in the school district, sharing something that impressed or surprised you as well as anything you found to be lacking from the supports offered.