Part A – Essays: respond to each of the following essay questions in 10 to 30 sentences. You may divide your responses into two or more paragraphs to make them easier to read. Each essay question is worth 20 points.
1. Technological change has played a major role in labor management relations over the years. This is especially the case with respect to the advent of computers and the digital revolution that has led the automation of information management systems that have displaced a very large number of workers. Describe union-sought approaches to softening the impact of technological change.
2. in 1886, 25 of Americas strongest national unions met in Columbus Ohio to form the American Federation of Labor(AFL). At that convention, Samuel Gompers of the Cigar Makers union was unanimously elected president. He would retain the presidency for all but one of the next 38 years. Gompers “new unionism” embraced the pragmatic approach that espoused five principles. Outline and describe Gompers five principles.
3. Summarize various approaches to dealing with crises that may arise during the collective-bargaining process.
Part B – Short Answers: answer each of the following questions in one to four complete sentences. Each question is worth 4 points.
1. many local unions provide educational programs for the benefit of officers and stewards. What seems to be the main reason for establishing these programs?
2. in general, if a labor contract calls for severance pay, under what circumstances might this kind of compensation be offered?
3. With respect to the U.S. labor movement, what was the overall impact of the PATCO strike?
4. What is concessionary bargaining, and what is its primary cause? Why is this kind of bargaining awkward for union officers?
5. As a labor contract is negotiated and time passes, what is the importance of the strike deadline?
6. Briefly, differentiate the residual theory of management rights and the trusteeship theory of management rights.
7. What was President Harry Truman’s attitude towards the Taft-Hartley act of 1947?
8. What is superseniority, and why might it be granted to particular employees?
9. What does the Landrum-Griffin Act of 1959 have to say about Union officer qualifications? Why might this provision be considered unfair?
10. What is the main function of an orderly grievance procedure? What are the common characteristics of a grievance procedure?