Assignment: Question to Explore
‘’The world’s poorest countries cannot find anything to export. There is no resource that is abundant – certainly not capital or land, and in small poor nations not even labour is abundant”. Discuss this statement.
The assignment must be based on a country or countries of your choice. You will need to conduct research on the selected country(s) and to consider this in the light of the theoretical and applied issues discussed in this module, especially by the Ricardian and the Heckscher-Ohlin models.
5.1 Marking Scheme for presentation
please, also use this as a guide for the essay structure.
Assessment Criteria Allocated mark
Should contain an introduction including background of the chosen case 15 Marks
Knowledge & Understanding
Should demonstrate knowledge and understanding of international trade theories, e.g. comparative advantage. The concepts under consideration should be clearly defined. It should contain appropriate and insightful connections between theory and the real-life international trade issues in the chosen country.
The presentation should contain analysis of the issues under consideration. It should include examples to support arguments. It should demonstrate insightful and group/independent thinking.
Figures, Tables & Data
Should demonstrate an excellent use of supporting evidence (e.g. Figures, Tables and data).
Please use Harvard referencing style, Arial font in size 12 with single spacing.
Please, write in English and not American!
This essay is very important to me and I need to get at least 70% for it. Previous writers have let me down and i failed a few of my modules with getting a shocking 13% for the writers work. Therefore, I need to make sure it is done properly to avoid going through complaints procedure again. I hope you understand…
This is what you need to achieve:
1. Excellent analysis of key issues/concepts/ethics. Excellent development of conceptual structures and argument making excellent use of scholarly conventions. Demonstrates independence of thought and a high level of intellectual rigour and consistency.
2. Outstanding analysis of key issues/concepts/ethics. Very high level development of conceptual structures and argument, making consistent use of scholarly conventions. Outstanding research skills, independence of thought, a high level of intellectual rigour and consistency, outstanding expressive/professional skills, and considerable creativity and originality. Exemplary academic/intellectual skills
• Krugman, P., Obstfeld, M., and Melitz, M. (2012) International Economics: Theory & Policy, 9th edition, Global Edition, Harlow: Pearson.
• Van Marrewijk, C. (2012) International Economics: Theory Application and Policy, 2nd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
• Dicken, P. (2011) Global Shift: Mapping the Contours of the World Economy. 6th Ed. London: Sage.
• Ferguson, N. (2009) The Ascent of Money, London: Penguin.
Video You Tube
On the Economist website you can find information under the ‘World’ section on international business activity in specific areas such as North America, Asia, Europe, Africa and the Middle East and Latin America. You can also find useful international business data in the ‘Business’, ‘Finance and Economics’, and ‘Markets and Data’ sections of the website.
Please, use our Key Text book Krugman, P., Obstfeld, M., and Melitz, M. (2012) International Economics: Theory & Policy, 9th edition, Global Edition, Harlow: Pearson
as most of the theories and analysis come from there and need to be covered in this short essay.
It would be great if you could use some material from our reading list. If some of them are not accessible and you need to read or include then in the essay, let me know and i will try to scan it for you and upload online.
Please, provide a good analysis to answer our essay question and stick to the Marking Criteria structure i provided.
Remember, this essay what you are writing is going to be my speech for 10 minute presentation. I will also be making PowerPoint slides once I receive your work.