Introduction to Intelligence
1. Define tactical and strategic intelligence.
2. Explain the relationship between information gathering and intelligence, including the process whereby it becomes actionable. Be sure to utilize our discussion of what makes an effective process.
3. Explain the dossier system of gathering intelligence in the 1950s and the associated issues. What is a “red file?”
4. What is the thread that ties information to intelligence classification?
5. What is the relationship between local law enforcement and (NSI) in the context constitutional restrictions?
6. What is the significance of The Church Committee, and what changes have impacted its “findings,” and subsequent “decrees,” since 9/11?
7. According to the authors, what is ILP? According to our discussions, what is its application in community policing?
8. Explain the steps in the FBI’s Intelligence Cycle using examples of applying the steps in an Intelligence-Led Policing Plan (ILP).