To complete this Application Assignment:
- Step 1: Create Your Handout
- Consider the purpose of the handout. Think about what you have learned in the course so far and review the readings and video programs for this week. (You may research additional sources if you choose.)
- Decide on the information you want to include in your handout, including your philosophy about positive discipline and related child development, and information to help parents/family members understand your stance. Consider which strategies may be of most help to parents and family members.
- Aim for a warm, professional tone.
- Be sure to cite your sources
- Step 2: Follow-Up
- After you have completed your handout, read it over and imagine the following scenario:
A parent who read the brochure has come into your office, challenging your philosophy of positive discipline. She states that children cannot learn right from wrong without punishment for their misbehavior. Write your response to this parent.
Assignment length: Approximately 2 pages
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of the assigned resources for this week. To view this week’s media resources, please use the streaming media players below.
- Course Text: Marion, M. (2015). Guidance of young children (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Chapter 5, “Positive Guidance and Discipline Strategies: Direct Guidance” (pp. 121-151)
- Chapter 13, “Apply Your Knowledge: Use the Decision-Making Model of Child Guidance” (pp.333-352)
- Video: Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Problem solving [Video file]. Retrieved from