The prompt choices for the compare or contrast essay are as follows:
- Compare two personal spaces in time — two cities, two states, two neighborhoods, two sports teams within the same sport (e.g., basketball), or two types of cuisine.
- Contrast two personal spaces in time — two cities, two states, two neighborhoods, two sports teams, or two cuisines.
- Contrast two different time periods of one personal place: then and now — one city, one state, one neighborhood, one sports team, or one type of cuisine.
After choosing a topic for the compare or contrast essay, follow the eight steps of the writing process, including prewriting, focusing, organizing, and outlining and drafting a version for peer review. After receiving peer review comments, revise, edit, and proofread the essay before submitting it to the instructor for evaluation.
- Write 500-600 words, five paragraph minimum
- Follow standard MLA paper format requirements
Refer to the Write and MLA Style sections in The Little Seagull Handbook for guidance in writing and formatting your essay. A set of worksheets is included to use in developing the essay. Complete and submit the worksheets as directed by the instructor.
Essay Assignments are worth 100 points each. The rubric is available in the syllabus and the online cours