Assignment 2: Web Application Attack Scenario
Due Week 8 and worth 80 points
Suppose that you are currently employed as an Information Security Manager for a medium-sized software development and outsourcing services company. The Software Development Director has asked you to provide a detailed presentation for her department regarding the most common Web application threats and the manner in which their products could compromise customer financial data. The products in question use Microsoft SQL Server databases and IIS Web servers. She has asked you to provide a report for her review before she schedules the presentation.
Write a two to four (2-4) page paper in which you:
- Analyze the common threats to data systems such as Web applications and data servers. Next, speculate on the greatest area of vulnerability and potential for damage and / or data loss of such data systems (e.g., SQL injection, Web-based password cracking).
- Devise one (1) attack scenario where a hacker could use the area of vulnerability that you chose in Question 1 in order to gain access to a network or sensitive data. Examine the primary ways in which the hacker could execute such an attack, and suggest the strategic manner in which a security professional could prevent the attack.
- Explore the primary role that the human element could play in adding to the attack scenario devised in Question 2. Give your opinion on whether or not the human component is critical in protection from that type of attack.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, your name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe security concerns, tools, and techniques associated with Web servers and Web applications.
- Identify the means of hacking Web browsers.
- Summarize the manner in which database servers and applications are compromised and examine the steps that can be taken to mitigate such risks (e.g., SQL injection).
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in ethical hacking.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to Perimeter Defense Techniques using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.