destination management – Las Vegas and Macao
With reference to the theories and practice of competitive destination management strategy developed throughout the module, compare and contrast the ways in which specific successful destinations(Las Vagas and Macao) have created a position of competitive advantage.
Butler’s original TALC theory (1980) should be used.
The aim of the assignments is to analyse and evaluate aspects of the strategic management process in relation to specific tourism destinations.
1. Understand and apply a framework for the analysis of tourism destinations
2. Understand, synthesise and apply appropriate academic theory and best practice to destination management issues
3. Analyse the impacts of tourism on the various stakeholders within a destination and the challenges facing destination managers
4. Critically evaluate the strategic and operational interventions adopted by destination managers to minimise the negative impacts and maximise benefits of tourism on the host destination
5. Critically evaluate the role of marketing in destination development and the elements of a promotional campaign
6. Identify, select and critically evaluate appropriate information for inclusion in a written research report