First, watch the video lecture below to learn more about how your perception creates your reality.
Now, please respond to the following discussion “I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not so sure”:
• Watch the video titled “Making decisions” (4 min 4 s). Next, provide an example of how your personality and values have influenced your actions and / or decisions in your current or past organization. Be specific as to the particular action or decision that your personality and values influenced. Next, construct your own decision-making maxim, and explain the significant way(s) that your personality and values align to said maxim. Consider in your maxim the integration of ethical decision making criterion and integration of diversity receptors.
First, watch the video lecture below to learn why the source of your motivation matters more than you might think.
Next, please respond to the following discussion “Moved to Action”:
• Compare and contrast the significant similarities and differences among the theories of goal setting, self-efficacy, and reinforcement. Specify the theory that you believe most closely aligns with your current or future approach to motivating employees. Support your response with at least one (1) example that demonstrates your approach to employee motivation.
First, watch the video lecture below to learn why knowing the difference between a team and a group can help you at work.
Now, please respond to the following discussion “No Man is an Island”:
• Suggest at least one (1) scenario in which understanding the Five Stages of Group Development could help you to work more effectively in groups in the future. Provide a rationale for your response. Then, reflect on an experience that you had being a member of a team. Classify the good, bad, and tolerable characteristics of being a team member.
Assignment 1: Emotional Intelligence and Effective Leadership
According to the article “Emotional Intelligence and Effective Leadership”, one of the most important constructs in leadership today is the concept and application of emotional intelligence (EI) (Batool, 2013). Imagine that you are an internal consultant to an organization of your choosing. The CEO has tasked you with preparing a presentation for the Board of Directors on what emotional intelligence is, and its influence on leadership and the people within the organization. You can submit this assignment as a PowerPoint or other equivalent visual software, OR as a written assignment. Please see each description below. Note: You may create and / or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
In preparation for this assignment, review the following additional resources on emotional intelligence:
“Cultivating emotional intelligence” (Video: 3 min 36 s)
Batool, B. F. (2013). Emotional intelligence and effective leadership. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 4(3), 84-94. (Note: Also available in the Strayer Library)
Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. A. (2015). Organizational behavior (16th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. (Note: Refer to Chapter 3.)
For PowerPoint or visual presentation option:
• Review the videos in the lynda.com playlist “Creating a Presentation in PowerPoint 2013” for tips on getting started using PowerPoint.
• Review the “Death by PowerPoint” presentation for tips on effectively creating engaging presentations.
Prepare an eight to ten (8-10) slide presentation (PowerPoint) in which you:
1. Fully explain emotional intelligence, and give two (2) examples of the concept. Next, examine the concept of “emotional quotient” compared to traditional “intelligence quotient.”
2. Suggest two to three (2-3) reasons why leaders’ need emotional intelligence to manage today’s workforce. Speculate on at least two (2) possible consequences should a leader not possess emotional intelligence.
3. Explore the elements of emotional intelligence that leaders must be aware of to increase leadership effectiveness.
4. Recommend a strategy that the organization could undertake in order to improve the social skills of leaders within the organization and thereby positively influence their emotional intelligence. Support your recommendation with specific examples that illustrate why the strategy would be effective.
5. Include speaker’s notes for each slide to indicate what you would say as you were delivering the presentation to the Board of Directors.