Application: Taking a Stand
In Leadership Roles and Management Functions in Nursing, Marquis and Huston discuss the opportunities—nay, the imperative—for a nurse to advocate on behalf of him- or herself, others, and the environment. No doubt, at some point in your career, you will encounter an ethical or moral dilemma that requires you to take a stand and defend your position.
For this Assignment, you evaluate an issue and consider how you could act as a moral agent or advocate, facilitating the resolution of the issue for a positive outcome.
• Consider the examples of leadership demonstrated in this week’s media presentation and the other Learning Resources.
• Mentally survey your work environment, or one with which you are familiar, and identify a timely issue that requires you to perform the role of moral agent or advocate to improve a situation (e.g., speaking or acting on behalf of a vulnerable patient, the need for appropriate staffing, a colleague being treated unfairly).
• What are the potential outcomes if you do not execute that role?
• What skills, dispositions, and/or strategies would help you to fulfill this role?
• Finally, consider the values and principles that guide the nursing profession; the organization’s mission, vision, and values; the leadership and management competencies addressed in this course; and your own values and reasons for entering the profession. What motivation do you see for taking a stand on an important issue even when it is difficult to do so?
Write a 3- to 4-page paper that addresses the following:
• Describe your role as a moral agent or advocate for a specific issue in your work environment or an organization with which you are familiar.
• Explain one or more negative outcomes that may result if this role is not fulfilled.
• Analyze the skills, dispositions, and/or strategies that would help you to fulfill this role.
• Explain your motivation for taking a stand even when it is difficult to do so.
This Assignment is due by Day 5 of Week 11.
Please use 5 academic references
* Use the following format. Please also include titles for each paragraph so the paper I easier to follow and understand
• Introduction paragraph.
The last phrase of the paragraph should say: “the purpose of this paper is to examine…”
o It should start with “the purpose of this paper was to analyze …”