1. The larger side of a projectile hole in glass indicates the
A. projectile was traveling at low velocity.
B. entrance side of the projectile.
C. exit side of the projectile.
D. opening was made by a bullet.
2. The most important microscope for the firearms examiner is the _______ microscope.
B. stereoscopic microscope
D. polarizing microscope
3. You’re examining a large, bulky object. You’re probably using a ________ microscope.
C. scanning electron
4. Which of the following is known as matter’s simplest identity?
5. Light projected from a source and separated into its component colors or frequencies is a/an _______
6. Which of the following types of glass is formed when strength is added by applying stress through the
rapid heating and cooling of the glass surface?
7. Which layer of paint on an automobile represents the car’s eye appeal?
C. Primer surface
D. Electrocoat primer
8. Radial cracks on glass form a/an
A. right angle on the reverse side of the force.
B. equilateral triangle on the reverse side of the force.
C. equilateral triangle on the same side of the force.
D. right angle on the same side of the force.
9. Which of the following techniques is the most useful for separating and identifying complex biochemical
mixtures such as proteins and DNA in dried blood?
A. High-performance chromatography
B. Thin-layer chromatography
D. Mass spectrometry
10. The melting point of ice is _______ degrees on the Fahrenheit scale.
11. Which of the following are invisible markers that may establish the source of a material?
A. Trace elements
B. Plasma shields
C. X-ray films
D. Electron units
12. The probability of detecting DNA in hair roots is more likely for hair being examined in its _______
B. early growth
C. middle growth
13. A positively charged particle that’s one of the basic structures in the nucleus of an atom is a/an
14. Which of the following types of microscopes should you use if you’re attempting to identify a synthetic
D. Scanning electron
15. Which microscope uses beams of electrons to produce its magnification?
16. If glass floats to the top of a liquid, then the density of the glass is _______ the density of the liquid.
A. equal to
B. more than
C. less than
D. the same as
17. Organic substances all contain the element
18. A physical property of matter that’s equivalent to the mass-per-unit volume of a substance is called
B. intensive property.
19. The coat of paint applied to a car to provide corrosion resistance is called the
A. primer surfacer.
D. electrocoat primer.
20. Pyrolysis is the decomposition of organic matter by which of the following methods?