1. Alcohol is considered a/an
2. In paternity testing laboratories, DNA test procedures have been implemented that can raise the odds of
establishing paternity beyond _______ percent.
3. The fundamental unit of heredity is the
4. Which of the following is a reliable psychophysical test used to detect the presence of drugs in a person’s
A. One-leg stand
5. A single, rapid test that specifically identifies a substance (drug) is
A. a microcrystalline test.
B. thin-layer chromatography.
C. infrared spectrophotometry.
D. a color test.
6. Which of the following drugs is classified in the category of low psychological dependence?
7. The extent to which a person may be under the influence of alcohol is usually determined by measuring
the quantity of alcohol in the
8. In the United States, more than _______ percent of the evidence now being evaluated in crime
laboratories is drug related.
9. Which of the following is the most direct way that alcohol is eliminated from the body?
C. Eating a lot of food
D. Drinking a lot of water
10. In general, when speaking of blood spatter,
A. the softer and less porous the surface, the less spatter results.
B. the harder and less porous the surface, the less spatter results.
C. the harder and less porous the surface, the more spatter results.
D. the softer and more porous the surface, the less spatter results.
11. A chemical or mechanical action resulting in the rapid expansion of gases is called a/an
B. hydrocarbon reaction.
12. The luminol test is capable of detecting bloodstains diluted to as little as 1 in
13. Of the drugs that a toxicology laboratory deals with on a normal basis, alcohol and cocaine account for
approximately _______ percent.
14. The term serology is used to describe a broad scope of laboratory
15. For a sexual crime, the victim’s clothing must be placed in separate
A. paper bags.
B. cardboard boxes.
C. Styrofoam containers.
D. plastic containers.
16. Which of the following tests is the generally accepted method of confirming the presence of a drug?
B. Light spectrophotometer
C. Thin-layer chromatography
D. Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry
17. Which of the following tests was discontinued because it’s a known carcinogen?
A. Luminol test
B. Benzidine color test
C. Kastle-Meyer color test
D. Hemastix strip
18. In the United States, _______ percent of all traffic deaths are alcohol related.
19. Oxidation of alcohol occurs almost entirely in the
20. Which of the following drugs is classified in the category of physical dependence?