Analyzing the Team
Last week, you began to analyze your team by considering its level of emotional intelligence (EI). You also considered the communication style of both the team and leader. You will continue analyzing the team and its leaders by using the concepts that we have studied this week. Consider the following categories and answer the questions:
- What are the common values team members’ shares? How do these common values help the leader?
- Are there any shared team values, which, if present hinder the team’s performance? Justify.
- Are there any shared values missing which if present would enable higher team performance?
- Is the leader a value-based leader? Justify.
- What action steps would enhance the shared values of the team?
- How would you analyze the leader of the team using the four EI dimensions (self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management)?
- What competencies does the leader have that are strengths?
- What competencies might be lacking or are weaknesses?
- Is the team marked by resonance (positive emotions) or dissonance (negative emotions)?
- What action steps would help improve the leaders’ EI?
- Is power shared in the group? How?
- Do team members feel empowered?
- Is the level of empowerment in the group appropriate? Why?
- What conditions exist that support team members’ feelings of empowerment?
- What conditions exist that if removed could increase team members’ feelings of empowerment?
- What action steps could improve empowerment/motivation in the team?
- What type of communication occurs in team interactions (i.e., persuasion, information, entertainment, relationship)?
- Does the correct type of communication occur or does the wrong type of communication frequently occur?
- What type of communication method does the leader use? Does the leader listen, persuade, manipulate, or coerce?
- What actions steps could improve team communication?
- How well is the team designed? Is there any category of the team design phases (i.e., task analysis, people, process or procedures) that needs to be re-examined and possible changes made?
- Where is the team at in the stages of team development?
- What action steps could improve team design or development?
You might need to interview some team members to gather answers. You should do some research by using the South University Online Library or the Internet to help you formulate the necessary action steps. Be sure to include at least three library sources and eight to ten key concepts from the readings. If you are the leader of the team, you should ask members of the team to help you develop answers to the questions.
Summarize your answers in a 3- to 4-page Microsoft Word document.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.