What is an ecological footprint? Using the concepts of trophic level and energy flow, explain why the ecological footprint of a vegetarian is smaller than that of a meat eater.
- What is sustainable development and why is it important?How does it relate to environmental justice?
- Describe the path that an atom of water would take through the water cycle.Explain and define all parts of the cycle fully.
- What types of species are most vulnerable to extinction, and what types of factors threaten them?
- What is a mass extinction?What is the 6th mass extinction event? Why are scientists so concerned about it?
- What prevents a species from undergoing exponential growth forever?Be detailed in your answer- a one word answer will not earn you any credit.
- What is interspecific competition and intraspecific competition?Which is more intense, and why?
- What is a keystone species?Provide two examples of keystone species and the roles they each play in their ecosystem (do not use the ones provided in the textbook or lecture notes).
- What is an invasive species?Provide three examples of invasive species and the effect they have had on their new environment.
- Although the population growth rate (r) is decreasing, the earth’s population continues to increase.Explain what why this is. How does education and opportunity for women play into a decreasing population growth rate (r).