Case Study “Slumdog: Fad or Fashion?” p.612
(Answer each question in 200-350 words)
1. Summarize the key facts of the case.
2. Using the Internet, research “Bollywood,” India’s file production industry. What are the key characteristics of Bollywood?
3. Does Slumdog’s success reflect the Americanization of India or the reverse? Explain.
4. Is the success of Slumdog a fad or a fashion? Explain why?
5. Assume that you are an Indian Bollywood movie producer. You want to extend the appeal of your films to the US. How would you approach this project? Who would the formal and informal gatekeepers be and how would you appeal to them?