There are many factors that contribute to variations of diseases (chronic and otherwise) among different populations. Economic, environmental, behavioral, and cultural elements can put certain groups at lower or increased risk for particular diseases. For instance, in one country, lower education levels and living in an urban environment with a high density of fast food restaurants are elements strongly tied to a higher incidence of diabetes. Yet, in another country, higher education levels and socioeconomic status are associated with a decreased risk of heart disease and diabetes.
In this Assignment, you examine the global variations in a chronic disease of your choice. You consider the underlying reasons for those variations and provide recommendations promoting greater global uniformity in prevention and treatment of the disease you selected.
To prepare for this Assignment,
- Select a chronic disease of interest to you.
- Review this week’s web articles, and conduct research on the incidence and prevalence of the disease in your country and other countries around the world.
- Consider the underlying reasons for the variation in the incidence and prevalence of the disease. Think about how those factors could be addressed to promote more global uniformity in the prevention and treatment of the disease.
To complete this Assignment, write a 2- to 3-page paper addressing the following:
- Describe the chronic disease you selected, including its symptoms, consequences, causes, as well as how it can be prevented, detected, and treated.
- Summarize the global variation in the incidence and prevalence of the disease. Explain why you think that variation exists.
- Provide recommendations on how public health professionals and organizations can promote greater global uniformity in the incidence and prevalence of the disease through prevention and treatment measures.
Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct