- List and fully describe three advantages of genetically modified crops (or organisms) and three disadvantages to this technology.Do not just provide a list- explain the implications of each advantage or disadvantage to make it clear to me that you understand the course material.
- What is deforestation?Describe the ecological differences between the three types of forest harvest methods that your textbook covers.
- If a company is testing a new drug and determines that it is has a low LD50, what does this mean in terms of lethal toxicity of the drug? In your answer, please explain the concept of LD50.
- What is the difference between point source and non-point source pollution?Define each of the following as point source or non-point source and explain why they fall into that category: agricultural runoff, soil spill, sediment pollution from clearcutting, and nutrient pollution from cracked sewer line.
- Explain what the graph below is indicating about the future of global fisheries catch.What practices are taking place in our oceans that are causing this? [Your answer to the second part of this question can be broad or specific, as long as it demonstrates your knowledge of the course material.]
- Choose three of the criteria air pollutants and describe their source and why they are considered a pollutant (i.e. what negative effect(s) does the pollutant have on the environment or human health).Define primary and secondary pollutant. Are the pollutants you chose primary or secondary pollutants (or both)?
- Ozone is a pollutant in the troposphere, but in the stratosphere it is vital for life.Explain why this is true.
- Describe the phenomenon documented in the figure below.How does carbon dioxide concentration relate to global climate change?
10.Fully describe two potential impacts of climate change and their ecological implications.