By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Analyze organizations and competitive environments using theories and models of strategy.
- Analyze Unilever’s business strategy.
- Analyze Unilever’s corporate strategy.
- Critically evaluate information from core business functions and the value chain to enhance knowledge of organizational strategic position and direction.
- Analyze Unilever’s business model.
- Communicate in a manner that is professional and consistent with expectations for members of the business professions.
Assignment Description and Instructions
Review “How Do We Describe a Firm’s Strategy?” in Chapter 1 of Foundations in Strategy, on page 19. Write an executive memo to Terri Bell, the vice president of strategy for your project firm. Communicate the findings from your preliminary analysis of the organization’s strategy. Here is the Link: http://media.capella.edu/CourseMedia/MBA6024/assignmentIntro1/wrapper.asp
- Identify and analyze UNILEVER generic business and corporate strategies. How is Unilever competing? Specifically, which of the three generic business strategies—cost, differentiation, or hybrid—has it established to supply customer needs and beat the competition? Does Unilever employ any of the following three corporate strategies: diversification, vertical integration, or globalization?
- Analyze the business strategy. What is Unilever’s competitive game plan or its articulated strategy? Is there a strategy for different business units, if it has diversified? Does the strategy address how to strengthen its market position and gain a competitive advantage?
- Analyze the Unilever’s business model, that is, the core products and how Unilever makes money. What is the customer value proposition? What is the profit proposition?
- Analyze Unilever’s corporate strategy, including product, geographical, and vertical scope in which it operates. Has Unilever expanded from its initial product line or field of operation? Does Unilever own vertically related activities along the value chain for its products?
- Submit your report in a business format, adhering to the submission requirements below.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Business formatting:
- Length: 2–3 double-spaced, typed pages, not including the cover page and reference page.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th ed.) style and formatting.