CASE STUDY REPORT – TOYOTA PRIUS
1. Read the Prius Marketing Case study (pdf document) which is available on the eLearning portal under week 1.
This document will give you some background about how Toyota has attempted to introduce the Prius, a new hybrid vehicle into the market. It will give you an insight into what they have learned and the challenges they faced.
2. Once you have read the article, visit the following webpage:
This is the website for the 2013 Prius range. Based on the information on the website and any information you can glean from the social media website links on the page, answer the following questions in the tasks section next page:
3. Watch the television commercial for the 2013 Prius campaign:
4. Read the pdf document about the “Prius charity plug in drive” campaign.
• This is an individual assessment
• What to submit – softcopy of assessment.
• When to submit – on or before 07 August, Friday, 9pm (week 5). Late assessments will have a maximum mark of 13/25.
• How to submit – Use your studentmail in submitting the answers. In the Subject heading of the email, type MC – Assessment 2. Email your answers to email@example.com
• Formatting – Arial, size 11
Based on the evidence you have seen on the Prius campaign, answer the following questions below. Each task has a weighting of 2 marks with the exception of task (e) which is 7 marks.
a. What are the marketing objectives of the campaign? (2 marks)
b. What is the target market? How do they attempt to appeal to the target market? (2 marks)
c. Discuss the Marketing Mix of the advertising campaign. (2 marks)
d. Based on what you have read and understood, how would you summarise Toyota’s marketing strategy and marketing plan for hybrid vehicles? (2 marks)
e. Analyse the Prius website and Prius social media sites: (7 marks)
i. How does the design meet its objectives and convey the image of the business and the features and benefits of the products?
ii. Evaluate the website content, navigation and frames – how does it comply with the overall marketing strategy of the Prius?
iii. Apart from the Prius website, what other e-marketing tools do they use?
f. Which marketing channels have been used to promote the product to the identified target market segments? (2 marks)
g. Which types of advertisements can be seen on the website? (2 marks)
h. How does the television advertisement support the marketing campaign? Analyse the creative approach to the advertisement. Is it effective and why? What is the underlying message the advert conveys? (2 marks)
i. Ford’s C-Max Hybrid is the main competitor of the Prius in the market. How does advertising of Ford’s C-Max compare to that of the Toyota Prius? (2 marks)
j. How does Toyota benefit from the Charity Plug in campaign? What is the rationale? (2 marks)