. How do you define art? What criteria must a work of art meet in order for you to consider it art? Explain.
2. Which of the following art forms that we’ll be studying this semester do your prefer: literature, painting, sculpture, photography, music, architecture, film, theater, OR dance? Explain why. How does this art form fit into your definition of art (from Question 1)? Only discuss ONE type of art. If you have more than one type that you like, choose ONE to write about.
Please note: If you don’t have a preferred art form, then pick ONE that you like in order to answer this question. If you tell me that you don’t have a preferred type and leave your answer at that – you will get a “0” for your answer.
3. Based on your preferred art form (from question 2) who is your favorite artist? Explain why. How does this artist fit into your criteria for what you consider good art (from question 1)? Explain. Please only discuss ONEartist. If you have more than one that you love, then only write about ONE.
Please note: If you don’t have a favorite artist, then pick ONE that you like in order to answer this question. If you tell me that you don’t have a favorite artist and leave your answer at that – you will get a “0” for your answer.
********* ASSIGNMENT 2
After completing assignment 1 and writing your own definition of art, consider the following…
Many students say that anything and everything can be art. Although there are no correct or incorrect definitions of art, to say that everything is art really diminishes the value of art. Art then becomes everything and nothing at the same time. The idea that everything is art has been hotly debated in the early to mid 20th century. The artist Piero Manzoni explored this idea when he canned his own feces and sold it at the then current price of gold. The title of the work is “Merda d’Artista” – Italian for “Artist’s Shit”.
Here’s his website: http://www.pieromanzoni.org/EN/index_en.htm (Links to an external site.)
This is what happens when “everything” becomes art. Funny? Genius? Offensive? Obviously it’s a matter of opinion. His art was on display in New York City this year. Here’s an article that looks at the exhibit:
Here’s the gallery. He did more than can his own feces although that’s what he’s best known for:
Number your submission in the text box 1 though 3 and answer the following questions. You can attach pictures or links but please don’t attach your text. Type your answer in the text box below.
1. So… is this art? Explain why or why not. (Take a clear position on this – either yes or no.)
2. Relate your answer to question 1 (above) to your definition of art from assignment 1.
3. Share your favorite artist (from assignment 1) in your post. Explain why you like them. Include a link or attachment to a work by this artist so your classmates can see an example of their work.
We will be asking “Is this art?” again and again throughout the course.