Comprehensive Doctoral Review Examination
Presented in Partial Fulfillment
of the Requirements for the Degree
Doctor of Philosophy
School of Education
Question 2: Practical Application
For question 2, you are required to discuss the application of relevant theory and research to real life situations, considering social, cultural, and ethical issues as appropriate. You are expected to compose responses solving specific problems and discuss implications of your ideas for application with a broad range of issues in the field.
Referencing at least five peer-reviewed journal articles between 2010-2015, respond to the following questions:
How can a theory guide or inform practice?
What are the issues involved in translating theory into practice?
Identify at least an additional five peer-reviewed articles (published in the last 5 years) and address how one of the theories you discussed in question 1(for example: Krashen theory) has actually been applied. For each peer review answer the follow questions:
1. Are the applications premised upon an accurate understanding of the theory and its scope?
2. Do the applications “go beyond” what the theory claims? because…
3. Is the reasoning linking application and theory sound?
2. Critique existing research and design a methodologically sound approach to research in the academic specialization(s).
2) Research vs. Theory
a) Theory Explained
b) Meaning of Research
c) Translation of Theory into Practice
i) Related Issues
ii) Practical and Theoretical Challenges
Instructions: Identify at least an additional five peer-reviewed articles (published in the last five years) and address how one of the theories you discussed in question one has actually been applied.
1) Application of Theory to Field (for example: Application of Shared Leadership Theory in Schools; address how one of the theories discussed in question one has actually been applied in your field)
2) Understanding of the Theory and its Original Scope (Do the applications show that the recent researchers applying the theory understood the theory and how the theorist intended for it to be used?)
3) Scope as Interpreted by Researchers (Do the applications by recent researchers “go beyond” what the original theory claims?)
4) Application of Theory Based on Research (Is the reasoning linking application and theory sound? What is the Evidence from Scholarly Articles?)