The paper is due in class on August 19th. Please upload an identical copy of your paper to the Turnitin.com link posted on the class TED page.
Length: 6-7 double-spaced pages, 1 inch margins, using a sane font / font size (Times New Roman and 12 pt recommended). Please respond to only one of the following prompts.
Call Prof. Magagna at 858-337-1926 for assistance.
1. Explain the complete security dilemma and illustrate it with the early 20th century naval arms race and the European arms race between 1900-1904 (sources: lectures, Fromkin).
2. Explain the role of information in institutionalism and illustrate it with the behavior of Austria-Hungary in 1914 (sources: lectures, Fromkin).
3. How can the balance of power help us to understand the origins of W.W.I (sources: lectures, Fromkin)?
4. Explain the concepts of credible commitment, deterrence, and international institutions (sources: lectures, Doyle).
5. Apply the first and second premises of structuralism to the origins of W.W.I (sources: lectures, Fromkin).
6. Provide an institutional explanation of the causes of W.W.I (sources: lectures, Doyle, Fromkin).