HIST 311: United States History since 1865
Please use only Ronald Story and Bruce Laurie’s The Rise of Conservatism in America, 1945-2000: A Brief History with Documents to draft an insightful and articulate five-page essay answering the following question. Please be sure to include specific examples from the text and at least five relevant primary documents covering each of the three phases of conservative political development delineated by Story and Laurie to support your assertions. Please be sure to include basic citations when appropriate (author, page number).
1. Those Americans identifying themselves as conservatives represent a broad and diverse swath of our nation’s population. What has united American conservatives? Specifically, what do you feel has been the most fundamentally important unifying force or set of issues in modern conservatism between 1945 and 2000? Be sure to include evidence from at least five primary documents covering each of the three phases of conservative political development delineated by Story and Laurie to support your assertions. This essay is due on the day of your final exam.
Please refer to the following basic rubric when composing your essay.
• Use the text and at least five primary documents from Ronald Story and Bruce Laurie’s The Rise of Conservatism in America, 1945-2000: A Brief History with Documents in your response. You should consider gender, race, class, religion, region, etc.; aim for diversity in your selections to account for the broad demographic that identifies as conservative.
• Your essay should be five full pages in length.
• Format your essay appropriately: one-inch margins all the way around, single-spaced heading (name, date), double-spaced body including one double-space between paragraphs, 12-font. Please refer to the following website for more specific information about Chicago-style formatting: http://www.docstyles.com/cmscrib.htm#Note12b
• Include specific examples from the text and documents to support your argument.
• Use the following simple citation format: (author’s last name/document title, page number).
• Use appropriate organization, grammar, and composition. Edit, edit, and edit once again! Be sure to include a specific and refined argument-driven thesis statement in your introduction, and be sure to include a proper conclusion.
• Title page and reference page are not required.