1. Chose one of the following articles/cases to read and post your thoughts on one of these issues and respond to the postings of at least two of your fellow students.
- Can an employer be liable for a non-supervisor’s alleged racial bias? Discuss the issues presented in BCI Coca-Cola Bottling Co. v. EEOC U.S. Supreme Court No. 06- 341. Certiorari granted Jan. 5, 2007. Ruling below: 450 F.3d 476 (10th Cir. 2006) from your own perspective and how you understand the law in this area. 6 June 2010.http://www.allbusiness.com/public-administration/justice-public-order-safety/4062838-1.html
- “Using The Duck Test For Professional Employees.” By Christopher Mills and Jason Storipan (located in the Additional Readings section of Blackboard).What do you think of this test? What other measure would you recommend?
- “SOCIAL NETWORKING: A TRAP FOR THE UNWARY.” Shaw, Jennifer Brown and Sperry, Alexander ( located in the Additional Readings section of Blackboard). What protections can you as a prospective employee take? Do you agree that employers should be looking into these areas?
- Moak, Lauren. “You made me promises, promises.” Delaware Employment Letter. Vol 15, No. 7 July 2010. 6 July 2010http://www.youngconaway.com/files/Publication/61b80311-abec-427d-ac0f-f6b2d8dd6845/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/f2294ae3-e83c-48f6-bc2c-c3663f272a25/PromisesPromises.pdf
- Lewis, Tyler. Unanimous Supreme Court Allows Firefighter Racial Discrimination Suit to Proceed” 24 May 2010. The Leadership Conference . 6 July 2010.http://www.civilrights.org/archives/2010/05/986-lewis.html
- Greenhouse, Linda. ” Justices Say Law Bars Retaliation Over Bias Claims.” 28 May 2008, 6 July 2010,http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/washington/28scotus.html?fta=y
2. Reply to at least two of your classmates using the discussion grading criteria