Your good friends have just adopted a four-year-old child. At this point, the only socialization decision they have made is that the child is going to preschool. Imagine that you are an expert in your chosen field. Your friends have come to you for advice and to devise a plan to raise their child. They ask you to be frank with them and give them specific examples to support your opinions. They are determined to raise this child to the best of their ability. Since they are new parents, they need advice on everything!
The Final Paper should include the following:
- Summarize Bronfenbrenner’s ecological model and describe why it is important for them to be aware of this theory.
- Suggest and explain a parenting style/philosophy (authoritarian, authoritative, or permissive) that you believe will be most beneficial for the child and the family.
- Explain which childcare (nanny, center-based, or family-based care) option (before/during/after preschool) you think is best for the child and why. Be sure to include discussion of the social factors that influence the likelihood of the family selecting a particular form of childcare.
- Share specific suggestions, including at least two to implement safe technology use in the home. Explain how the media can (both positively and negatively) influence the child.
- Discuss the importance of culture and ethnicity in the development of the self-concept. Share your ideas of ways that the new parents can create opportunities for the child to learn about his or her culture.
- Describe at least two researched methods to increase the child’s self-esteem and positive attitude.
- Differentiate between the importance of socialization that occurs in the home and at school. Explain the importance of each venue as a positive haven for the child.
- Explain the importance of the teacher’s role in the child’s life. Give examples of how the school and the teacher will affect the child’s socialization.
- Share the importance of positive peer interactions. Give two examples for the parents to implement at home to foster friendships.
- The conclusion of the Final Paper should include the following:
- Brief discussion of the student’s future profession and how understanding the nature of families and children in relation to society is important for that profession.
- Discussion of how the student’s knowledge of the theories of socialization will impact his or her work in the future profession.
- Discussion of how the student’s understanding of child development will assist him or her in the chosen profession.
The Final Paper:
- Must be seven to nine double-spaced pages in length, not including the title page, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of Final Paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must be well organized and reflect college-level writing.
- Must be supported by at least five scholarly sources in addition to the text