Pols 101 Institutions Paper
Submit your paper in a word document under the assignment tab in D2L. You will have until 11:55pm on 7/21 to submit the final essay. ALL ESSAYS MUST BE IN Microsoft WORD!!!! DO NOT PASTE YOUR ESSAY IN THE SUBMISSION BOX—IT MUST BE AN ATTACHMENT
MAKE SURE TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AND ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS.
THIS IS AN ESSAY IT SHOULD HAVE AN INTRODUCTION A THESIS AND A CONCLUSION. PLEASE CHECK YOUR GRAMMAR/SPELLING. PROOFREAD YOUR PAPER! RESPONSES WITH THESE TYPES OF ERRORS WILL BE GRADED DOWN.
DO NOT WORK ON THIS EXAM WITH OTHER CLASS MEMBERS. THIS IS AN INDEPENDENT ASSIGNMENT. STUDENTS THAT SUBMIT SIMILAR ESSAYS WILL FAIL. ALL ESSAYS ARE RUN THROUGH TURNITIN. Please break up your paragraphs.
Your response/paper should be at least 4 pages (single-spaced; 1”margins). Make sure to cite your sources in text (page #’s &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; author) USE YOUR TEXTBOOK, DISCUSSIONS, VIDEOS AND THE CURRENT EVENT FOR YOUR SOURCES. DO NOT USE OUTSIDE SOURCES OR YOU WILL FAIL. Please use proper citations for programs, cases, etc.!
Essay Question: WHICH BRANCH IS MORE POWERFUL? (The answer to this question is your thesis. Make sure to tell me why the branch you’ve chosen is the most powerful and why)
This essay will ask you to discuss the idea of checks and balances and discuss the distinction between enumerated and expanded powers. It will also ask you to discuss whether you feel one branch is more powerful than the other, and for you to support your position using information provided in the textbook, videos and current event.
IF YOU FAIL TO CITE PAGE NUMBERS IN THE TEXT OF YOUR ESSAY OR YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THIS PAPER.
Please make sure to write “MY THESIS IS” IN THE INTRODUCTION AND CONCLUSION SO THAT I KNOW THAT YOU HAVE ONE.
YOU MAY ALSO USE YOUR LECTURE NOTES. Please address all of the following questions in your essay:
1. Explain the philosophy behind the framing of the Constitution (e.g., separation of powers, checks and balances, the idea of a social contract, etc.). Discuss which branch is the most powerful (this is your thesis).
2. Discuss the distinction between the enumerated powers of Congress with that of the President with that of the Supreme Court per the Constitution (Articles 1, 2 &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;3).
3. Explain how Congress is able to expand its power. Identify two areas (cite Supreme Court Cases or legislation) where Congress has expanded its enumerated powers.
4. Explain how the Office of the President is able to expand its power. How have institutional changes influenced its power? What role does the bureaucracy play in allowing the President to expand his/her power? Identify at least two (2) additional powers of president that were not granted in 1787. Look at the text, it tells you why this branch has expanded so much!
5. What are some additional powers of the Supreme Court that were not originally constitutionally granted? How does the Judiciary Act of 1789 further explain judicial power? Cite 3 cases that demonstrate the power of the Supreme Court. How does “legislating from the bench” influence the power of the Supreme Court (see interview with Justice Stephens)?
6. Checks and Balances—How can Congress check the president? How can Congress check the Supreme Court? How does the Supreme Court check Congress and the President? Finally, What role do the media or the people play in checking the elected branches of government?
7. (This should be your conclusion) Based on the evidence provided in your paper, which branch do you believe has the most power? Why? The answer to this question is your THESIS. Use the information discussed in your essay to support your position. Find one CURRENT that reflects/ supports YOUR POSITION REGARDING WHICH BRANCH HAS THE MOST POWER and include it in your discussion. Make sure to cite it in your response. You are more than welcome to use news programs such as 60 minutes, etc. Just make sure that the articles/programs are not too partisan. They should be factual reports NOT OPINIONS or COMMENTARIES from the news source. The current event must be current (e.g. not from 2005—it should be from 2013).
Some Important Terms to Discuss In Your Essay:
(1) Constitutional powers (Articles I, II, III); social contract, Montesquieu(2) statutory powers (powers that are derived from legislation, not Constitutionally granted); Power to impeach, declare war, etc.; (3) checks and balances /separation of powers; (4) expressed/ enumerated powers; (5) Implied Powers (Congress, Necessary and Proper Clause). McCulloch vs. Maryland (1819);(6) inherent powers (my term, not in the textbook). This power refers to the (President, these are powers not constitutionally granted they are a result of tradition or practice. For example, the President plays the role of Commander in Chief, however he does not have the Constitutional power to declare war, yet he can deploy troops and or withdraw troops or the power to persuade, Bully Pulpit, etc.); (7) executive order (a statutory power, Congress gave him this power);(8) Congressional Oversight &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Advice and Consent&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; (Senate); (9) judicial review (Marbury v. Madison, 1803); judicial policymaking; (10) judicial activism (11) US v. Curtiss Wright Export Corp (1936);(12) War Powers Resolution (13) executive agreements (not Constitutionally granted); (14) Executive Office of the President; (15) signing statements; (16) “legislating from the bench”; (17) Judiciary Act of 1789
Or Any Other Information you want to discuss per the reading, lectures discussions. Good Luck!! Remember, all you need is the textbook and your current event