Students will write an essay, 500-750 words in length, on a topic selected from the list below. The purpose of the project is to give students an opportunity to discuss a key political science concept, and to show a basic understanding of academic research and reporting skills. The project consists of producing a 500-750 word essay on one of the provided topics (see below), as well as a works cited page for sources containing information used in the essay. The assignment is to be formatted according to the Modern Language Association (MLA) style. Students should research this style in order to properly format the assignment; papers not formatted properly will not receive a passing grade.
Students should use Courier or New Courier 12 point as the paper’s font, double space the text, and create one inch margins on all four sides of the page. In addition, the assignment should be formatted according to MLA style for papers with no title page.
- In Chapter 2, “The Constitutional Setting,” the authors describe the amendment process for the Texas Constitution. Complete the following:
- Describe the rules for amending the Texas constitution.
- Discuss the attempts at constitutional reform during the 1970’s.
- Explain why constitutional reform was attempted and why it ultimately failed.
- Do you believe it is better to have a detailed constitution that requires frequent amendment as specific situations arise, or a constitution that has broad language providing government with flexibility to handle a diverse set of situations as they arise