In the unit studies, you read the case of “BASF: Increasing Farm Yields Through Innovations in Chemistry.” For this assignment, you will review this case and analyze BASF’s efforts to ensure an effective and efficient supply chain. Complete the following:
- Review “BASF: Increasing Farm Yields Through Innovations in Chemistry,” on pages 31–39 in your textbook, Strategic Supply Chain Management.
- Describe the problems BASF faced in dealing with unpredictable demand, and respond to the following questions:
- How has BASF’s differentiated supply chain models worked to leverage its economies of scale and extensive knowledge of its customers’ industries?
- What are characters of BASF’s innovative harmonized processes? Has the harmonization strategy impeded BASF’s supply chain improvements?
- Describe how BASF resolved those problems to develop a more effective and efficient global operations and supply chain process, and respond to the following questions:
- Would the production approach of Verbund be sufficient to handle the two scenarios described at the beginning of the case?
- How has BASF streamlined supply chain processes without sacrificing responsiveness?
- Is the harmonization an effective long-term strategy? Why or why not?
Your assignment should be 3–4 double-spaced pages.