Ashford University Discussion
In your introduction for this course you were asked to share your perspective on parenting. In this discussion we will build on that idea by looking at how parenting has changed and what parenting looks like today. There are two parts to this discussion.
First, address the following:
- Describe at least two ways that you think parenting has changed in the last 25 years.
Then, after reading the article “25 Years of Parenting: A Look Back and a Look Ahead” and section 1.3 of
your course text, address the following:
- Explain how your understanding of parenting that you shared in your introduction post does or does not align with the ideas shared in the article.
- Discuss at least two ideas that were shared in the article that were surprising to you about how parenting has changed.
- Describe how using this information, along with your knowledge of child development, will help your work with families.
Ashford University Discussion
This course is titled “Understanding Behavior and Family Dynamics.” In order to fully understand these ideas, we must have a thorough understanding of what family is so that we can provide family-centered support. Viewing the child as an integral part of the family helps one develop a more culturally sensitive approach. Everything we do must support the family as a whole in order to be able to advocate for the needs of the children we work with.(Supporting Partnerships for Success, n.d.).
To prepare for this discussion, read Chapter 1 of your course text and watch the video 2010’s American Family Defined:
Then, address the following:
- Examine how the definition of family shared in the video 2010’s American Family Defined is similar or different to the definition of family shared in your course text. Make sure to include specific examples to support your examination.
- Describe what providing family-centered support means to you. Use the “Guiding Principles of Family Support Programs” document to support your ideas.
- Summarize how understanding the definition of family will allow you to be family centered when advocating for children and their families. Support your summary with one additional scholarly source.
Guided Response: Review several of your peers’ responses. Respond to at least two of your peers and share an example of how you will bring one of the ideas they shared about being family centered to life in your work with children and their families.
Though two replies is the basic expectation, for deeper engagement and learning you are encouraged to provide responses to any comments or questions others have posted for you. Remember, continuing to engage with peers and the instructor will further the conversation and provide you with opportunities to demonstrate your content expertise, critical thinking, and real-world experiences with this topic.
Ashford University Assignment Submision Week 1 Assignment
After viewing the video Positive Discipline for Toddlers (for an alternate accessible resource read “Diana Baumrind’s (1996) Prototypical Descriptions of 3 Parenting Styles”) and reviewing the Parenting Style Questionnaire, write a three- to four-page paper that includes the following:
- Compare and contrast two parenting styles (i.e., uninvolved parenting, permissive parenting, authoritarian parenting, or authoritative parenting).
- Explain, for one developmental stage between 2 and 15 years of age, how parenting styles influence a child’s behavior in the classroom.
- Explain how modifications in parenting can create a positive family environment.
- Assignment Length: Your written paper must be at least three to four pages in length (not including title and reference pages).
- Title Page: Inclusion of a separate title page with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Source Requirement: Reference three scholarly sources in addition to the text. All sources included in the reference list must be cited in the portfolio.
- APA Formatting: Use APA formatting consistently throughout the assignment, which includes citations in the body of the assignment, the title page, and references list, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Syntax and Mechanics: Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling and grammar.