I want you to answer the following questions in short answers (about 5-6 lines and using simple and understandable english vocal, don’t make it too hard to understand):
1) Compare and contrast the formal characteristics exhibited by the works of Cimabue and Giotto. Cite specific examples in your answer.
2) How did Giotto di Bodone revolutionize painting in Italy during his lifetime.
3) Explain how Ambrogio Lorenzetti’s art reflects its social and political environment.
4) Discuss the impact of the Black Death on Italian fourteenth-century art. Cite specific examples in your answer.
5) What is Humanism? Who were the first humanists?
Readings and resources that can help:
The Metropolitan Museum’s Heilbrunn Timeline has a nice overview of the period that can be reviewed here, as well as a short reading on Sienese painting.
Smarthistory also has a full section on the Proto-Renaissance, focusing on the art of Florence and Siena, including an excellent video comparison of Cimabue’s Santa Trinita Madonna, c. 1280-90, with Giotto’s Ognissanti Madonna Enthroned c. 1305-10.