Any introduction of a new technology into a society initiates an endless series of effects, especially for those who have and use the technology compared with those who do not or cannot use the technology.
Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper that addresses how new media technologies affect social and societal issues.
Address the following:
- Assess whether there is a measurable “digital divide” in the availability and use of technology between the haves and the have-nots in society domestically and globally
- Critique new media technologies and the digital divide:
- What is the socioeconomic effect within our society?
- What are the consequences in the global economy?
- Describe the role of the Internet in social alienation.
- Explain why ethically the influence of new media technologies is important for us to understand.
Conclude your paper by answering the following questions:
Based on historical examples, do you foresee these digital divides narrowing or widening
- In the next 5 years?
- In the next 25 years?
- What are the ethical implications of your forecast?
Explain and justify your answers.
Cite at least three peer-reviewed sources to support your work.
Format the paper consistent with APA guidelines.