The Importance of Probation and Parole in the US Criminal Justice System
This module discusses the historical origins of probation and parole and how societal values have influenced and continue to influence the role and purpose of today’s probation and parole.
Regardless of the varying philosophies and practices that have helped shape our current probation and parole systems, one would find it difficult to argue that probation and parole does not play an important role in today’s criminal justice system.
Refer to the media The Evolution of the Federal Probation System in Module 1 to know more about the evolution of probation in the criminal justice system.
Prepare a 4- to 5-page paper to address the following:
- The importance and function of probation and parole in the US criminal justice system. Ensure your response includes how probation and parole impacts communities, victims, offenders, recidivism, and society as a whole.
- Identification and analysis of historical events, movements, or practices that led to policies and practices that have shaped today’s probation and parole systems.
- Analysis and explanation of the importance of historical knowledge of probation and parole. Explain how that knowledge impacts the future of probation and parole.
Support your conclusions and use appropriate references. Feel free to use the Argosy University online library resources, wherever required.
- Save the final report as M1_A3_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Wednesday, July 20, 2016, submit your final report to the M1: Assignment 3 Dropbox.