Question 1 – 200 Word response
1. Describe the importance of Charles Darwin�s trip to the Galapagos Islands in 1831. What were some of the key insights Darwin gained on this voyage? After the publication of On the Origin of Species, were his ideas immediately accepted? Do you think his ideas would have gained wider acceptance in 1859 if the mechanisms of genes and heredity were more fully understood at the time?
Question 2 – 200 word response
1. What is the difference between primary and secondary succession? Describe what types of disturbances can be beneficial to ecosystems, and which can damage an ecosystem beyond repair.
Question 3 – 200 word response
1. Describe how the human population has grown from a few million people to more than 7 billion. What events caused rapid growth during certain periods? Has human population growth followed an exponential or logistic pattern?
Your response must be at least 200 words in length. You are required to use at least your textbook as source material for your response. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations.
Question 4 – 200 word response
1. Discuss how the process of speciation occurs and describe the two types of speciation. Use the internet to search for an example of each type, and provide a brief description of your examples. Be sure to include a citation for your source in APA format.
Question 5 – Match words and definitions
1. Match each term with its definition.
Crude birth rate
Total fertility rate
Zero population growth
• Dependency ratio
A. Number of deaths per thousand persons in any given year
B. The number of births per thousand persons in a given year
C. The average age that a newborn infant can expect to attain
D. Occurs when births plus immigration equals death plus emigration
E. The number of children born to an average woman in a population during her reproductive life
F. The number of nonworking compared with working individuals in a population